The Brotherhood winery was established by a European emigre, John
Jaques, who produced the first commercial vintage in 1839 under the label
"Blooming Grove Winery". Brotherhood has been in continuous operation since
that time. In 1858 the property and winery was deeded to Mr. Jaques' three
sons, John Jr, Oren, and Charles, and renamed "Jacques Brothers' Winery". In
1886, Charles, the last surviving brother, sold the winery to a father and son,
Jesse M. and Edward R. Emerson. They renamed the winery Brotherhood. Jesse
Emerson and his son expanded the facility, adding the "landmark" stone building
with additional underground cellars that are the largest in the country.
Edward, who was author of "The Story of the Vine", was in control of the winery
in 1919 when prohibition was enacted. Having survived prohibition by the sale
of sacramental wine, the winery again changed ownership around 1921. Louis
Farrell and his son Louis L. Jr acquired a controlling interest in the
Brotherhood Winery and ran it until 1947 when Louis Farrell Sr. died. His son
died shortly thereafter, and the Winery was then managed by three Farrell
cousins, one of whom, Francis Farrell, led the Winery into the post-WWII era.
The winery underwent dramatic changes - major expansion, the beginning of a
visitor tour operation and the creation of a broad range of award-winning
wines. Brotherhood remained a "family business" until a change of ownership in
January of 1987. Brotherhood Winery is listed in the New York State Register of
Historic Places and is listed as a National Historic Landmark and uses the
slogan "America's Oldest Winery".