On December 11, 1824, twenty-four members of the Baptist Church of Reading were set off as the Baptist Society of Altay. The Society was officially constituted as a church on June 1, 1825. Until 1831 the church had no settled pastor and relied upon two licentiates. In 1842 the congregation built a church at a cost of $2,000. It was repaired and enlarged in 1861, and repaired again in 1874. In 1860 the church changed its name to the First Baptist Church of Altay to correspond to the post office and village. A parsonage was purchased in 1855. The church was a member of the Steuben Association from 1825 onward.