Between 1828 and 1850 German Lutheran residents of Potter worshipped together in private homes or at the Boak Methodist Church in a group founded by Dr. Frederic Dutch, Jacob Shuman and Nicholas Heisler. In 1849 a meeting was held to plan building a church which was called Christ Church when completed in 1850. In 1856 the church changed its name to the Elsasser Congregation (a majority of its members being from Alsace) and in 1861 a committee was appointed to build a parsonage and a school room. In 1866 a new constitution was adopted and the church incorporated as the Evangelisch Lutherische Gemeinde. In 1919 the corporate name was changed to St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church of Potter and Vicinity. A list of pastors and additional details are found in the accession folder.