The First Congregational Church of Augusta and Easton (or Eastown) was organized on November 28, 1802 by the Presbyterian missionary Reverend Jedediah Chapman. Later as town and county boundaries changed, it was clled the First Congregational Church of Augusta and Gorham, and by 1868 called the First Congregational Church of Rushville in Yates County. It belonged to the Ontario Association of Congregational Churches and Minsters until that organization dissolved in 1813, and then joined with the Presbytery of Geneva until 1855. On March 20th of the same year, an ecclesiastical Council of Congregational ministers was called to install a new pastor. Twenty-nine members lodged a protest against these proceedings on the grounds that such action was illegal and in contempt of the Geneva Presbytery. Subsequently on May 5, 1855 the church resolved to dissolve its connection with the
Presbytery and in 1865 delegates were appointed to the National Council of Congregational Churches.