This church was formed at Canoga in Eastern Fayette township on June 28, 1825 with eleven members. In 1834 the church, under the Geneva Presbytery built a church costing $1,700. In 1848 the pastor, Reverend Mr. Cherry, an abolitionist, led the church in withdrawing from the Presbyterian Church and in forming a Congregational organization. This decision was rescinded in 1851. In 1840 a parsonage was built, later sold, and repurchased in 1860.