On February 13, 1842 residents of Corning and vicinity who belonged to the Baptist Church of Campbell and Erwin requested that they be given leave to form themselves as a separate church. The request was granted and on August 24, 1842 a council was convened and the church was organized with 24 members. For the first few years the congregation met in the Episcopal Church, in the members' homes, in a hall rented for 50 cents a meeting, or in the Methodist chapel. A house of worship, begun in 1849, was dedicated on May 8, 1850. There is a gap in the records from May 4, 1861 until January 2, 1864, indicating perhaps the effects the war had on those at home. By 1870 the church had 147 members. In 1879 the church incorporated, and in 1882 plans were begun for a new church which was dedicated on October 21, 1886.
In 1896 the first letters were granted to several members to aid in establishing the North Baptist Church (formally organized in 1902).
In November 1892 the envelope system began to supplement pew rentals, which were gradually phased out.
The church was a member of the Chemung River Baptist Association until 1916. See the accession folder for additional details.