Christ Church of Corning was legally incorporated on April 12, 1841. The congregation was first served by the Reverend Richard Smith, a missionary, who also held Episcopal services at Painted Post. Services were held in the schoolhouse of District 14 and special ceremonies (marriages, communions, etc.) were held in the Methodist church in Corning until a chapel was built sometime before 1850. A stone church building was begun in 1853, and consecrated by the Right Reverend William H. DeLancey, Bishop of the Western New York Diocese on September 21, 1854. Bishop DeLancey visited the Corning parish several times during the 1850's and his visits are recorded in the parish register.