The early history of this congregation as related by William G. Gardner (see the accessions folder) is unclear. Apparently a number of congregations from the area around Hornby Forks including Dryun, Jersey, Catlin, Mead's Creek, Campbell (then West Hill) and Erwin had formed congregations which contributed members to the Hornby Church at its formation between 1825 and 1838. In 1840 the Mead's Creek Baptist Church was set off from Hornby as a separate congregation. The church originally belonged to the Steuben Association but by 1847 had joined the Chemung River Baptist Association which met in Hornby in 1860. After 1862 the Hornby church had a Sunday school.