The Congregational church of West Groton was formed at the home of Ichabod Brown by Reverends Joshua Dean and Seth Smith as the West Church of Locke in 1816. The name of the church was changed to the Congregational Church of West Groton in 1818. The church was organized into a society in 1832 under the "Plan of Union." In 1850 the Congregational churches in New York State began to withdraw from the Plan. In 1866 the West Groton church heeded a call from the Homer church to withdraw. A church building was erected in 1833 and the Sunday School was started in 1848.