In 1804 a council met at the home of Jacob Smith, in Ovid New York to constitute a new church in the boundaries of the Romulus Baptist Church. At that time circuit rider Elder Caton served the Romulus district and often preached at the church. In 1809 the church was officially organized and in 1826 it was incorporated as the First Baptist Church of Lodi. Reverend Thomas was the first preacher, only preaching a quarter of the time. In 1817 Rev. Thomas Brown became the first paid pastor, preaching at the church three quarters of the time. The first church was built in 1829 on the hill next to Stephan Smith's home and "a great many old time revivals were held there."