St. John's Episcopal Society was organized on April 8, 1822 at a meeting held in the Methodist chapel. Prior to then the Reverend Dr. Babcock and a Father Nash had ministered to the Episcopal community in a missionary capacity. In 1824 the church purchased a lot on the corner of Seneca and Cayuga Streets where they built a house of worship. Bishop Hobart consecrated the building on September 11, 1826. In 1844 the church was altered and enlarged, and in 1855 a parsonage was purchased. The church was torn down in 1860 and a larger building was constructed.
For further details and the names of ministers consult the
History of Tompkins County, p. 8l or "A Brief History prepared for the Sesquicentennial Celebration" in the accessions folder.