The First Congregational Church of Christ in Danby was organized as a Presbyterian church in 1807 based on the "Plan of Union." The Presbyterian form of government was dropped in 1867, and the Congregational form took its place. The early records refer to the church as the Congregational Church in Spencer, New York. The church building was erected in 1820, and in 1879 was the oldest building in Danby. A Sabbath school was opened in 1828.