The Methodist Episcopal Church of Mecklenburg originated about 1823 in a Methodist Episcopal class near the McIntyre Settlement on the Ulysses Circuit, Genesee Conference. A division of the Ulysses Circuit in 1843 prompted the annexation of the Mecklenburg charge to the Enfield Circuit in 1844. The charge included appointments at Mecklenburg (where the church was located), Little Flatts (or Cayutaville) and Allen's.
A subsequent division or reorganization placed the Mecklenburg charge on the Hector Circuit in 1846. In 1849, the Mecklenburg charge was organized into a station "by itself," with a full-time pastor. (For a more thorough history, see item 3 in this collection.)