St. Paul's Episcopal Church of Waterloo was organized on November 17, 1817 with Benjamin Hendricks and Gardner Wells as wardens. The first church edifice was consecrated September 16, 1826 by Bishop Hobart. A new church was consecrated on June 9, 1863. The final cost of the new church, fence and organ was $28,780. From 1817 to 1827 church rectors were missionaries from Geneva. These men also founded the first Sunday school in 1826. In 1827 Reverend William Weber became the first rector to live in Waterloo. Reverend Livermore organized a parish school in 1852 because church members were dissatisfied with the public school system.