In 1811 a local preacher, Josiah Fowler came from Palmyra and formed a Methodist Society. In 1825 this society joined with the Episcopal and various unnamed denominations to build the Union Church of Pultneyville. In 1859 a schism between the Methodists and Episcopalians occurred, and the building was turned over to secular use. This congregation was formed on June 1, 1850. It re-incorporated again on April 8, 1872. It was part of the Pultneyville circuit, Rochester district, East Geneva conference.