Until 1851 no organization existed in Newark, but isolated services had been held by the Reverend T.F. Wardwell, Rector of Grace Church in Lyons in 1830 and services had been held at different periods by the Reverend Mr. Spaulding and the Right Reverend W.H. Delancey, who had adminsitered the rite of confirmation to a class. On July 22, 1851 the church was legally organized and elected wardens and vestrymen. A subscription was begun to construct a church, a lot purchased, and the building was consecrated on December 28, 1852. In 1863 improvements costing $3,000 were made, making the total value of the church $8,000. The church's membership grew from 21 communicants in 1852 to 91 in 1877.