Before the Methodist Episcopal Church was built and opened in 1828-29, several different circuit preachers served the church organization in Ovid. Prior to 1820, Ovid was a charge on the Seneca circuit, but in 1820 it appears in the General Assembly records as a distinct appointment served by Rev. William Fowler. He formed the first class in the same year, consisting of eight people, one of whom was a black women named Lydia Demond. The Methodist Church at Sheldrake was under the same administration until about 1887 (not represented in this collection). Similarly, in 1836 and 1837 Ovid and Trumansburg villages united on the Seneca cir-cuit as a single charge. Until 1858-59 the Methodist Episcopal Church at Ovid was in the Geneva District, but was moved to the Elmira District shortly afterward, then moved back to Geneva in 1860-61, and moved yet again to Elmira in 1863. In 1876 the church went into debt $9,010, but managed to pay it off by October 1877.