The church was established in February 1835 as the Lockville Baptist Church. The original church was built in 1836. When Lockville became incorporated as Arcadia the church changed its name to the Baptist Church of Arcadia.
In 1864 a large portion of the church broke off to form the First Baptist Church of Newark. The original church once again changed its name, this time to the Baptist Church of East Newark.