The Baptist Church of Galen (Clyde) was formed in 1818-19 when a fev citizens met together, were organized into a regular Baptist Church, adopted articles of faith, subscribed to a covenant, and elected officers. Early members included Rev. Jared Blackman, Rev.
Joseph Potter, (the first pastor), Joel Blackman, John Flint and Joel B. Potter. The church incorporated on April 21, 1832. That same year Dr. James Dickson donated land for a church which was constructed the following year on Sodus Street. In 1864 the church reformed after having dissolved itself in l86l or 1864, and called itself the
First Baptist Church of Clyde. In 1954 the church united with the Baptist Church of Rose. See:
History of Wayne County, N.Y. p. 88 or Item 2, p. 1 for additional information.