full text File Size: 7 K bytes | Add this to my bookbag

Contents List

   Container / Location    Title
 
Church Record Book No. 1 1841-1846 [series]: (Item 1)
Contains baptismal records (1841-1888), communion records (1844-1881), confirmations (1845-1887), marriages (1856-1888), deaths (1844, 51-87), and miscellaneous notes and comments. Occasional late entries are in English.

 
Baptisms [subseries]:
Usually include names of parents, names of children, date of baptisms and birth, and names of witnesses, by pastor.

 
Page 3-34, January 1842 - 1861
 
Page 35-71, Date of birth not given. 1861-1879
 
Page 164-177, 1879-1885
 
Page 232-233, 1885 (single page tucked into volume)
 
Page 235-251, 1885-88 (mixed with other records)
 
Page 252, 1880
 
Confirmations [subseries]:
Includes name and pastors.

 
Page 72-84, 1858-1881
 
Page 133-134, 1845-1853
 
Page 238, 1866 (for 7 people)
 
Page 244, 1887 (for 8 people)
 
Page 261, 1855, 1857
 
Communicants [subseries]:
Communion usually held twice yearly.

 
Page 87-132, 1845-1867
 
Page 135-149, 1869-1881
 
Page 150-151, 1844
 
Page 152-163, 1882-1885
 
Marriages [subseries]:
 
Page 178-197, 1856-1885
 
Page 245, 1888
 
Page 259-260, 1846-1850
 
Deaths [subseries]:
Name and date of death age in years, months and days.

 
Page 198-231, 1844-1887
 
Page 242, 1887 death notice
 
Page 253, 1888 - death of Georg Koehler with narrative concerning his poisining
 
Page 254-258, Members - list made 1882. Later, notes
 
Page 262-266, were made as to the disposition of the individual
 
Other [subseries]:
 
Page 268-271, n.d.
Pages 39-42 from a printed book giving the rules of organization for churches in the Evangelical ministry of N.Y. state.

 
Church Record Book No. 2 1849-1921 [series]: (Item 2)
"The record of the Alsace congregation in the Town of Potter, County of Yates ..." Volume 2 contains minutes of congregational meetings (1849-1921) on the temporal affairs of the church. Minutes regularly include the results of trustee elections and financial reports. Most entries are in German until the 1880's, when they gradually switched to English. Items of note:

 
Page 3, December 1, 1849
Members agree to build a church. Land offered for church and cemetary.

 
Page 4, October 21, 1850
Record of the church's incorporation.

 
Page 6, October 1868
Minutes out of order.

 
Page 11-21, April 25, 1857
Articles of organization are included, including that only German shall be used in services, who can vote, trustees' responsibilities, officers, procedure to be followed in getting a new pastor, how one becomes a member, etc. Signed by 26 members.

 
Page 35, March 1869
Mention of support for German immigrants to Buffalo and the Warlburg, Iowa seminary.

 
Page 52-68, 1885-1888
Pastorate of Heinrich T. Duensing, who makes comments on the state of the church.

 
Page 77, July 29, 1894
Constitutional changes made.

 
Page 77, January 2, 1918
Women given the privilege of voting in church meeting

 
Page 77, 1918
Funds raised for Wagner College.

 
Page 77, April 6, 1919
Name anglicised.