In 1812 a small class existed at Seneca Falls on the Seneca Circuit. It joined with another class at Black Brook, and by 1830 the class numbered twenty-five of whom only one was a freeholder. The group had incorporated in 1829 as the Seneca Falls Methodist
Episcopal Church and had begun to build a meeting house on donated land. When work on the church stalled because of lack of money, the minister recommended abandoning the project, but members suceeded in enclosing the roof and building seats. Revival meetings were held in the structure and seventy new members were added to the
congregation. In 1834 land was donated for a parsonage. In 1843-44 a portion of the congregation seceeded and organized themselves as the Wesleyan Methodist Church (Collection #6049). In 1857 the church was remodeled. In 1865 a few members left to join the Free Methodist Movement. In 1871 the old church was torn down and a new building
dedicated on July 24, 1872 was constructed. In 1876 the church had 230 members and 50 probationers and 250 scholars in the Sunday School.