The Associated Gas and Electric Company (AGEC) was a utility holding company which went
bankrupt in the 1930s. It was reorganized under the supervision of the courts and was
broken down into smaller companies by government order. The company originated as the
Ithaca Gas Light Company of Ithaca, N.Y. in 1852. Soon after 1900, its owners began
securing control of surrounding properties and the company was incorporated in 1906.
There were fourteen subsidiary companies, all but two of which were located in New York;
the largest and most important were the Ithaca Gas Light Company and the Homer and
Cortland Gas Light Company. Through mergers among its operating companies, the numbers
were reduced to four - the Homer and Cortland Gas Light Company, the Ithaca Gas Light
Company, the Ithaca Electric Light and Power Company, and the Norwich Gas and Electric
Company. These companies were consolidated in 1916 under the name of the New York State
Electric and Gas Corporation.