The Associated Gas and Electric Company (AGEC) was a utility holding company which went bankrupt in the 1930s. It was reorganized under the supervision of the courts and was broken down into smaller companies by government order. The company originated as the Ithaca Gas Light Company of Ithaca, N.Y. in 1852. Soon after 1900, its owners began securing control of surrounding properties and the company was incorporated in 1906. There were fourteen subsidiary companies, all but two of which were located in New York; the largest and most important were the Ithaca Gas Light Company and the Homer and Cortland Gas Light Company. Through mergers among its operating companies, the numbers were reduced to four - the Homer and Cortland Gas Light Company, the Ithaca Gas Light Company, the Ithaca Electric Light and Power Company, and the Norwich Gas and Electric Company. These companies were consolidated in 1916 under the name of the New York State Electric and Gas Corporation.