Since its founding in 1913, the Young Women's Hospital Aid was a social organization whose prime function was fund raising for the Tompkins County Hospital. Officers and members of this group were usually prominent women of the Ithaca, New York area. The Aid assisted in the purchase of equipment for the hospital, and helped provide for the comfort and well-being of its patients. The organization also funded nursing scholarships with money raised through charity balls, fashion shows, and other social events. In 1964 the organization was dissolved and absorbed into the hospital's Department of Volunteer Services.