Chester Platt operated a drugstore in Ludlowville and later Ithaca, New York. He became
successively proprietor of the ITHACA DEMOCRAT, the BATAVIA TIMES, and the Madison
WISCONSIN LEADER. He served as secretary to New York Governor William Sulzer, and was a
prominent figure in Democratic state and national politics from 1910 to 1920. In Ithaca
he was active in the Unitarian Church and in local politics.