Professor John G. Franclemont taught in the Department of Entomology;
he focused his research on the moths of North America, with particular interest
in cutworms. His personal collection of insects contained more than 350,000
specimens, which he donated to the Cornell University Insect Collection. He
received his bachelors degree (1935) and doctorate (1953) both from Cornell. He
served as entomologist in the Bureau of Entomology and Plant Quarantine, U. S.
Department of Agriculture in Washington, D. C. from 1947-1952. He joined the
Cornell faculty as assistant professor on February 1, 1953. Three months later
he was promoted to associate professor. He became full professor in 1959 and
professor emeritus in 1977.