The Wason Collection was bequeathed to Cornell University in 1918 by
Charles William Wason. It began as a collection of English-language works on
China and the Chinese. Its scope and size have since been greatly enlarged, and
it is now the only major East Asian collection in the country to include all
Western language materials in the areas covered in a special collection
together with the materials in the languages of those areas.